View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #103 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I see, I'll have to try seeing what they have locally at my walmart. Hopefully they are stainless so they don't rust.

The fiberglass route would probably work well, but I think that's heavier than plastic. You could get a sheet of ABS plastic from Lowes or Home Depot I'm pretty sure, cut it with a saw (slow) and shape it, then you can use a heat gun to dome the shape of it some. Probably not easy to make it look as nice, but probably one of the lightest options. Old school hub caps were metal and pretty heavy, so as long as they are centered and balanced somewhat well it should be fine, just have to make sure they don't pop off too easily.

I've wondered if a small supercharger would help or hurt mpg. Prius it might not work too great on, but the concept is it would be sized to run the engine well at take off rpm's and do little to nothing ideally at cruising rpm so there's not much of a pumping loss from a more closed throttle. I've seen it mentioned quite a bit that supercharging or even turboing an engine can give the same, maybe slightly better mpg if you don't drive it harder than you used to. Clearly that's a more involved mod as well and probably not worth the costs if it does even save fuel at all.