View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tetsuo
EcoModding Lurker

Colin the Camry - '89 Toyota Camry CS
AUS$350 89 Camry gets 48mpg US

G'day fella's,

I've been lurking on here for a month or two now and thought it was a good time finally join. I've been keen on improving fuel economy in all the cars I've owned, but the latest purchase has shown the best potential.

I started by doing some simple P&G and engine off at lights, which got me to 37mpg, then as I got more confident I tried EOC and all sorts of crazy push starting and waiting at the crest of a hill to time lights etc. Which has seen me get VERY close to 50mpg avg over a 120 mile trip. I've got to say, this is a Great Game to play !

Currently I'm collecting the parts to make an MPGuino, The Arduino itself is a bit harder to come by down here so I'm building one from scratch. I'm a huge fan of "Hard Trash" collection night so I scored the 16X2 LCD out of an old fax machine which is on a rather big PCB and I'll be powering the lot from an old cellphone car charger instead of using a nasty old 7805.

I'm more fortunate than a lot of you in that Adelaide is VERY flat and the roads very straight, so the terrain lends itself to LOTS of EOC on the slight downhill grades.

Cheers Lads ! Keep up the good work !

Tetsuo

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camry with black wheels.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1929  

Last edited by Tetsuo; 10-14-2008 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: picture