View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 01:36 PM   #396 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
diffuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Soooo update…

I jacked my car up and got a super good look underneath, other than fixing up the current front belly pan or getting a new one, I doubt I can do much more for a smooth underbody. The whole line of site is super straight. Sure it’s not smooth, but it’s flat and straight. Even the placement of the gas tank and rear muffler is extremely flush. Smoothing everything out with expensive panels will probably make almost no difference except saving a few Pennie’s over a year of driving. Not worth it. I’m going to focus effort on building a rear diffuser and closing in the rear parachute gap between the muffler and bumper

Also got the full rear wheel spats cut out! Just need to sand down the sharp edges and screw them into the body panels!
On the Audi 100-III, the shallow-angled diffuser was good for a 20-count drag reduction, but that was dependent upon having all the belly pan ahead of it. Potentially Cd 0.21 for the IONIQ with the upstream belly panels and diffuser by themselves. Nearly your total aero target!