View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
MeteorGray
Master EcoModder

My 2.0L Mazda3 has an automatic transmission and averages more than 45mpg on non-Interstate 55mph highways when driven with a steady throttle at posted speed limits. MPG on 70mph Interstates shaves the fuel economy to around 38mpg or so. My main hypermiling procedure is to obey posted speed limits.

I doubt having a standard transmission would yield much additional economy driving normally under similar circumstances.

However, should someone wish to exercise advanced hypermiling techniques such as the legendary engine-off engine-on coasting process, a standard tranny would be necessary and would likely yield significantly higher fuel economy. But IMHO, most folks who choose standard transmissions tend to be younger in age and do so for "sporty" reasons that do not include driving for maximum economy.

I will note that my last standard transmission car was a 1.8L MGB convertible that was fun to drive but was lucky to get 21mpg on the highway at 55mph. Needless to say, I was younger back then.