View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 04:36 PM   #65 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Where is the battery pack located?
Before I removed the body, I had it underneath the front boom. Twin Greenway 46.8V 15.6 AH packs enclosed in a coroplast box, c-clipped and zip-tied underneath the boom.

With the body off and rear suspension added, it allowed the pack to touch the ground going over bumps, so it had to be removed. In the photos, the pack is not present. I did my first test ride with full suspension 100% pedal powered.

The battery will temporarily soon be relocated behind/under the seat in two separate parts on each side. When the new body shell is made, it will be permanently moved fully behind the seat separated from the rider compartment by a firewall. Even with this change, because of the extended wheelbase and more reclined seat, center of gravity should still be very favorable when compared to the previous design iteration of the trike.

This battery pack is also going to be replaced with something lighter, with more peak power and capacity. Getting some 21700s from a salvaged Model 3 and will be building my final pack from those. I have some Panasonic NCR18650GAs I'm going to build a 72V pack out of soon to get a hang of spot welding. With an ASI BAC4000 controller, setting a 250A phase current and 10 kW limit should allow car-like performance, but top speed in the best of circumstances will only be around 70 mph. Then I'm going to go to a much higher voltage pack and controller after that once I know what I'm doing with the spot welder.

The current pack can only do 3 kW peak. This is still enough to allow it to do donuts in a parking lot and take off like a car from 0-20 mph with the rear wheel clawing for traction. But it's going to eventually have a lot more than 3 kW.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 07-11-2022 at 04:49 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to The Toecutter For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (07-12-2022)