View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blister
EcoModding Lurker

01' F150 XL 4x4 w/ Triton V8-What can you do?

I recently obtained a 2001 model F150 XL 4x4 with a triton V8 in it. It is necessary for my work. I need to haul a tractor weighing between 2500 and 3500lbs on a 1500lb trailer. Just like half the country, gas prices are killing me but I also want to do a little just to save gas in general aside from cost concerns. So, where do I start on a truck like this?

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2429/0002208ks5.jpg -side view.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7985/0002210uw4.jpg -front view.

The engine runs nicely. There is a sensor malfunction causing the check engine light to stay on which is a non-issue. It has 173,000 miles on it but was owned by a company which had every one of their trucks serviced correctly and at the appropriate time. Aside from a tiny ding in the left front quarter panel and a cracked/broken panel under the bumper, there is no body damage.

I'm wondering if a fuel warmer and HAI will even be worth the money since I live in GA. For 7+ months a year it is 85-105 degrees outside.

I know the bed needs to be closed up and several places have bed covers for sale. I also know that I need fender well modifications, especially to the HUGE ones in the rear. The cracked front panel, which is some sort of plastic can also be replaced by a fabricated piece without the three holes in it and that kind of "slicks" back a little more.

The gap between the bed and the body is larger than it looks. It's actually about 1.25" wide and I can hear the wind biting at it as I drive. How could I close this up without attaching the bed to the body?

The mirrors cannot be disposed of since I haul a trailer but if there are any ideas as to how I can modify the existing mirrors, I'm very open to that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is there anything obvious that I'm missing here? I think the biggest gains are going to be aerodynamic but I don't know a lot about chopping up vehicles and fabricating parts. Any and all advice is welcome.. well, except for "sell it and go Isuzu". lol