View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #233 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
All emissions deletes I am aware of occur because of vehicle totalling failure of the emissions equipment.

Thankfully my 82 diesel suburban and 2001 TDI didn’t have expensive emissions equipment.
AKA - the car requires maintenance that the owner is too cheap to perform. 99% of diesel emission failures are one of 4 things:

1. A sensor or wiring is bad
2. The DEF has gone bad - it has about a 1 year shelf life - keep away from heat and light
3. The EGR plugged up and needs to be removed and cleaned
4. The DPF plugged up and needs to be cleaned or replaced.

The 4th one is the big one as DPFs don't last forever and anyone owning a diesel vehicle should expect to replace the DPF between 100K and 150K miles. It is part of the cost of owning a diesel. In the long run it isn't that expensive - about 2.5 cents per mile.

How fast it clogs up is HIGHLY dependent on driving routes and style. Idling is the death of DPFs - diesels should be turned off at every stop. I still see people leaving diesels idling outside of stores like in the old days of indirect ignition and that is just killing the DPF. Stop and go driving plugs up a DPF far faster than highway driving.

The same things can go bad on a gasoline vehicle with the exception of DEF. The difference is that federal regulations require manufacturers to put a diesel into limp mode if the emission system isn't working. With a gas vehicle it just throws some codes and turns on the check engine light.

Back to prices:

Gasoline is now $4.79 a gallon
Diesel is $6.29 a gallon

At 15 mpg my ambulance costs $0.42 a mile for diesel + $0.01 for DEF + $0.02 for future DPF replacement. So $0.45 per mile.

At current prices - 11 mpg on gasoline would be cheaper than running a diesel. I wonder what that new 6.6L gas engine does for fuel economy. Too made nobody makes a factor hybrid MD truck - yet.