View Single Post
Old 07-21-2022, 07:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
Oil leaks in the valve cover gasket and the oil pan; transmission leak not yet located.

I used the carpet cleaner on my Accord once and just got clean water. I reinstalled the front seats, added the dye, and drove for 10 minutes. There was a large amount of oil on the oil pan, but I didn't see any above it.

I didn't see any on top of the engine, but my flashlight didn't seem very bright, which might have been at least partially because the batteries were some Chinese brand.. It was the only one I found, at least on Amazon, that was made in the U.S., and everything was written correctly.

Between the ultraviolet light and the yellow sunglasses everything seemed green, but I didn't see any ATF.

I worried if it was correct to test both, but everything was brown, and my ATF is red.

I didn't feel confident, so I called around, and Mobile Medic, whoever they are, were available, so I dropped off my car, walked home, and resumed hosing out Mom's car.

Google says they have been in business for over seven years, but there weren't any mobile mechanics when I moved here. I may have heard of them, but only in the last year or two.

Also, who drops off their car at a mobile mechanic? "We come to you!" is their slogan!

They bought a shop Dawn Stratton took a year or so to sell.

I had just started clearing out the back seat of Mom's car when they called me back. He said the valve cover and oil pan gasket were leaking, but didn't see any ATF leaks, which means that I need to drive on the highway.

Fortunately, he didn't charge to look at my car, because he just confirmed what I figured out on my own.

The valve cover is only 5 bolts.

How was it supposed to take the professional 90 minutes?!

Torque spec is 7.2 pound-feet.

The oil pan is a lot of bolts. The manual doesn't mention removing the exhaust, so I will try to leave it in place.

That sure was a challenge with my Civic!

However, I now know about bolt extractors.

Torque spec is 8.7 pound-feet.

Is 9 too many?!

I don't want to strip anything!

Last edited by Xist; 07-22-2022 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: I mentioned the Chinese batteries.