View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Blister
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestDrive View Post
How many miles per year will you put on this vehicle?

What what percentage of those miles will you tow ~5000 lb tractor trailer combo?

As to the gap between the cab and bed, start by asking a body shop if the bed is properly mounted on the frame. Closing some of the gap may be as simple as: loosen a few bolts; slide bed forward; resecure previously loosened bolts.
That depends on some things so there's no accurate number I could give. Right now, I have next to no work, so hauling the trailer only happens once or twice per month and the furthest I've had to drive for a job so far is only 25 miles one way. Town is only 5 miles away and we only go if we have to. Groceries, mail, electric payments...etc... (no mail box out here-vandals) and we try and take care of all those things at once if possible.

As an estimate I would say I drive twice as far hauling the trailer as I do not hauling it. so, at this time 65% hauling/35% not and that also seems accurate at the moment as far as mileage is concerned. Approx. 100 miles per month, 1200 per year.

This will change in late winter/early spring and the percentage will be reversed as I intend to start tech school (at 39 yoa. lol). Mileage will also increase at that time to approx. 280-300 miles per month.

That's a good idea concerning the bed. Most of the trucks from that company have been used to carry various things in the beds since the day they purchase them. I would think that things sliding back into the tailgate and toolboxes filled to the brim could have caused the gap to widen over time to begin with. This happened for seven years. Maybe I'll crawl up under there and see what I can see. Never know, I may be able to do it myself.

As I was searching the net this morning, I saw a plastic/foam like material with a sticky side that appeared to be about an inch think. It's possible this could be a nice, lightweight filler if I can't move the bed forward. It was designed as a seal for the base of a tailgate although I don't know why one would need that.

Last edited by Blister; 10-14-2008 at 05:27 PM..