View Single Post
Old 07-26-2022, 09:56 PM   #102 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprechensie View Post
Perhaps you should check the condition of the small 12v battery in the back of the car. When these things wear out, the management of the car can run a bit haywire, and with it the mpg.
I could throw a load tester on it to see what it comes up as. When I got the car the battery was dead. I was keeping a good eye on the voltage at first but so far it's been stay charged pretty well. $200 for the replacement is pretty crazy. I have a plastic battery box and such from junk cars, I could throw something like a Honda civic battery in it, I have like 3 of them, I think one was a 2020 battery.

When the battery was low at first, I saw it doing some funky stuff, but once the car is in ready mode, it puts out the ~14v from the traction battery and I don't think things could go too crazy unless the battery had like an internal short. The motor that runs after the car is turned off runs fast and smooth, not like the battery is completely junk.

The car does have a check engine light for P0420, aka inefficient cat code. My state is a no emissions state and several older cars have the cats deleted so very common thing to do here. The P0420 wouldn't go away, but the engine's ability to run better should be better with the less restriction assuming the cat is plugging up.