View Single Post
Old 07-31-2022, 04:02 PM   #85 (permalink)
saturndude
EcoModding Lurker

This has been an interesting read.
Just to add to the discussion, I have a 1991 explorer XLT 4 door with 5 speed and 4x4

I used to think all explorers were pieces of **** #1 cash for clunkers turn in. But I’ve learned, since taking on my wife’s explorer that some of them are damn capable and pretty reliable and decent vehicles.

First off it should be known that there are two different 4.0 V6 engines. The original one is a push rod OHV, the later one a SOHC. They were simultaneously offered from like 95-99 or something.

The OHV is reliable AF. The SOHC makes much more power and potentially better mpg but it’s multiple timing chains are almost ticking time bombs.
The were both made in Germany.

Mine has a Japanese M5OD Mazda 5 speed that is original and works great with 225k miles on it.

It has a real truck frame and mine is rated to tow 4K lbs and mine has done so a few times. It has real 4WD and will easily outperform any AWD in serious conditions / off roading.

It’s slow, the Speedo goes to 85 but I keep it well under 80mph
Taking it easy @65mph highway I get 20mpg. Around town it’s 16mpg. Towing a 20’ travel trailer I got 14mpg. Towing a 22’ sailboat I got 16mpg.

It’s shorter and narrower than our 2006 Honda Accord which gets 30mpg.

Did I mention it’s super duper reliable and always starts and gets you where your going no matter how long it’s sat?
I usually commute on my electric bike luckily :-)

But really 20mpg ain’t all that bad for a vehicle that can do as much as it does.
I’ve never put any effort in to improve it, I wonder if a spoiler in front of my factory roof rack would help?

The Following User Says Thank You to saturndude For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-01-2022)