View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 54.24 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.05 mpg (US)
Of course you may ask, why the spindle had to come completely off the car? Just remove the hub with a puller and press the bearing off and on with the spindle in place like most front wheel drive cars. I have the bearing press tools to do this.

On the Passat, there is a big spring C clip on both sides of the spindle on either side of the bearing. It would be impossible, (or close to impossible) to get this C clip off the inside of the spindle with the spindle on, even if the front axle was pulled. If I had a lift, I might have been able to see this and get it off. There is not really enough meat on the bearing to use a bearing press that clears the C clip, so pressing this off through the back side of the spindle would not be possible without destroying the C clip.

With the spindle off the car, both C clips are removed and the bearing can be pressed out and on from either side. These C clips were thick and a total PIA to get off. I broke my C clip pliers doing this, they couldn't handle the force required.
317k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank