View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 12:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Phase
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGeo View Post
I believe that solely comparing MPG #s alone can be misleading, almost a false equivalency.

Todays cars and yester year's cars are not even apples to apples. Today's cars are overall much more efficient than older variants. Not only are they more efficient, they are also way safer, quieter, way more reliable... Handling, ergonomics, overall comfort, accessories & electronics... Today's cars are super luxury cars compared to any 1980s-90s era cars.

That being said... Here are some practical reasons that I can think of of why you can squeeze more out of an older Metro.

#1 - They are all basically starting around a very similar baseline in terms of overall fuel efficiency ratings. Check out the attachment to see a Side-by-Side comparison I made between the four cars and you'll realize they're all very close to each other in fuel efficiency.

#2 - A quick look the stock curb weights shows the Geos are 1,200-1500 lbs. lighter. So the effects of any modification will tend to be "amplified" in comparison to an 'almost-twice-as-heavy' car.

#3 - They are cheaper! This may sound funny, but I bet you that almost no one who just paid $20-30K + on a modern Ioniq/Prius/Insight is willing to do 1/4 of the things required to get that great mileage out of an older beater GEO. (myself included). With the older beaters its actually fun to tear stuff apart and drill some sheetmetal screws right into your body panels.

Add all these together and you have a good starting point for how you can make these Geos more efficient than todays modern cars MPG wise... IMHO
i mean im trying to mod my ioniq without doing crazy boat tails lol

heres what i dont get, the prius and corolla hybrids have the EXACT same highway mpg. both use the same hybrid power train too. but the corolla cd is about .28 and the prius is .24... based on that youd think the much lower drag of the prius would give better mpg. i dont get it. both have the exact same engine and powertrain, just a different body shape yet the slippery prius doesnt get a highway mpg boost?
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-04-2022)