View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 11:05 AM   #35 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 55.81 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.79 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savefuel View Post
Officially (Guinness World Records) it is 1582 miles driven in Croatia in June 2011 with a VW Passat 1.6 TDI. The vehicle was driven until it ran out of fuel. Yes this record could be beaten: I drove a OPEL Insignia 1.5 D around Germany in October 2022 with 'less than a tank of fuel' over 1526 miles (start and finish at the same pump station in Ruesselsheim, still some reserve fuel in the tank). Both cars have a capacity of ~ 20 USG of usable fuel in their factory tanks. OPEL was not interested in a new record since they stopped production of that ultraefficient 3 Cylinder sedan this year.
I should be able to hit 1,600 miles with my 26 gallon factree tank. Assuming I can keep it running that long and did some long trips. The Passat TDI wagon has a 26 gallon tank but they limited it to a 21 gallon fill by using a vent cut off system, since the gasser version Passat Wagon used the same tank and gas is more volatile and can't be filled to the top and needs some volume for expansion of vapors. With a ventectomy (removal of the vent cut off) I can get 26 gallons in by filling up to the filler neck. I could never get a legit record with this vent mod. If I use only 21 gallons I couldn't hit the record.
306k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank
The Following User Says Thank You to Caddylackn For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-04-2022)