View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
manual vs auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by User1 View Post
Hello all,

I thought for sure I'd find a pretty good post on manual vs automatic tranies somewhere here! If there's something I missed, please let me know.

OK just to let you know, I'm a manual fan here. I am persuaded if someone can convince me that my next car should be an automatic. I tend to go for smaller and less powerful vehicles, I don't need the biggest or greatest. I always go for used vehicles too. The big thing here is that we have a good idea the trans that most desirable for MPG.
The market trend is towards automatics.
1) Theoretically, a CVT is the ideal, as far as keeping the engine in it's BSFC 'sweet-spot' during transient loading.
2) A 12-speed trans equals the efficiency of a CVT.
3) Automatic transmission vehicles cost less to manufacture than manuals. They are preferred by bean-counters.
4) Automakers can better achieve EPA Mobile Sources Emission Standards with automatic transmissions, as they can completely control shift points for the lowest emissions/ highest mpg.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In highway-only, long-range cruising, there's zero advantage with a manual any more.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In urban traffic one will come to despise a manual transmission (when PORSCHE began to offer automatics, that was the writing on the wall ).
Try eight-hours of stop-and-go, between Paso Robles and Anaheim sometime.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you're looking for is to, get the engine at it's lowest BSFC and keep it there. Automatic CVTs and 10-speeds can do that better than ever before. And in an 'emergency', you don't have to figure out what gear your in, and which gear to go to.