View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
seuadr
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Some gross figures from Wolf Heinrich Hucho's 2nd-Edition, Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles, NASA,............
* tow-bar length dependent (gap) alone, can mean up to a 8.67% delta Cd.
i'll have to do some measuring - but it seems like the length is pretty short already.

Quote:
* a roof fairing, which brings the tow vehicle roofline closer to that of the trailer amplifies the smaller gap modification for up to a 13.6% drag reduction.
could it just be on the top of the vehicle and not need to be around the sides? i could probably work something out that would attach to the roof rails..

Quote:
* closing off the gap between the tow vehicle and trailer brings drag reduction up to 27.1%.
* reducing the height of the rear separation point by half brings the entire ensemble to a 63.5% drag reduction.
i am assuming this would be the combination of some sort of tow vehicle fairing and whatever i do to the front of the TT?

Quote:
Lightweight, compound-curve, pre-preg epoxy carbon fiber fairings, gap-filler, and boat-tailing costs very little in weight penalty. So rolling resistance need not suffer significantly.
yeah, and i want to learn how to use these kinds of materials anyhow, so, it makes a lot of sense.

Do you think that a belly pan under the front makes sense also, given that it is simply cost of materials and time?

from what i've been able to gather, the boat tail is probably going to be the simplest to implement since i don't have to worry about clearances between the trailer and vehicle.

the exterior heigth of the camper is 78 inches, the durango is 70 inches, so, that shouldn't be particularly complicated to overcome.

Thanks for the input!
The Following User Says Thank You to seuadr For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-04-2022)