View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Logic
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Interesting in principal. However due to gears being different sizes, they would only align while rotating such that they're repelling part of the time, and would attract an equal portion of the time. I think this would only work with a 1:1 gear - which is 4th gear in most manuals these days. And, the reduction in physical contact would only be as strong as the magnetic force, which is to say, probably millinewtons or less, compared with hundreds of newtons exerted by the engine that needs to transfer between the two gears, forcing them together.

There probably IS friction reduction to be found in manual gearboxes that simply isn't happening because nobody is building new manual gearboxes anymore. It's probably also not the lowest hanging fruit yet.

Thx Ecky

The gears would be magnetized top to bottom not left to right if you get my meaning.
ie: The top of each tooth would be say north, and the bottom south.
Then the gears arranged north-north.
ie: Constant repulsion.

Then magnetic force increases/decreases with the square of distance.
So Force = Magnetic Constant /Distance squared.
So the maths says; when D is 0; F is infinite, regardless of how strong the magnet is...
https://socratic.org/questions/the-f...ionality%20%23

I don't think that's quite the case in principle, but friction from any direct steel to steel contact should be GREATLY reduced.
(you'd also have a thin layer of oil between the teeth)