View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 01:10 AM   #118 (permalink)
conradpdx
EcoModding Lurker

the Mule - '99 Dodge Dakota
90 day: 14.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
^^ conrad, I think it would even be fair to sell back at a reduced rate (once net zero has been reached). A reduced rate to cover the cost of infrastructure (which is built into the cost per Kwhr).

I wonder how such a system would be regulated - you can't produce more than the current demand - so how do you make sure your system's output is utilized the same % as your neighbors (might not be a big problem, I just haven't put a smidge of thought into it).
First off you could assume that within our life time if such a system was in place, that the problem you mention would only apply to very small communities in areas (like the SW) where it'd fairly easy to produce that much excessive power.

In metropolitan areas this wouldn't be a problem because the industrial, commercial and high density residential areas wouldn't be able to supply themselves with enough power to cash in on the system. Also, the building codes would limit the sizes of the arrays/windmills, in that most communities have a limit to the amount of square feet a structure can use up on a given lot. So really in area's with any kind of significant population (ie a small town or bigger) with even a small industrial/commercial area distribution wouldn't be a problem. So really until the technology vastly improves this would be a moot point for most people.

Now I personally wouldn't implement any kinda of rate reduction for the infrastructure, as a matter of fairness to the property owners that are investing into the system. Each person with such a system has their own systems to maintain (that they are personally paying for) and are contributing to the common good. And it could stall reinvestment in system upgrades and expansion. After all, the more potential for profit under this system, the more power the property owners will want to produce.

And personally I think all income from such systems should be taxed at an rate comparable to the capital gains or royalty taxes (at a lower rate than income taxes, for those not aware of the tax rates). Or at least X number of years to help implement the system.

If we can't be free, at least we can be cheap"--- Again F. Zappa

My guilty little pleasure