View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 04:39 AM   #33 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Well, this sucks. I had some light ceramic film applied to the windshield, and now I don't think I can see well enough at night anymore. I put the halogens back on and noticed I could see a bit better, but all the cars driving by me seemed to have much brighter headlights :/ Damnit Honda.

I let the engine bay heat soak a bit and went around touching bits of metal (not the turbocharger though :P), and then I touched the LED heatsink. Whoa. That LED is HOT, maybe even over 80C (I can't touch it for even half a second). So maybe the engine bay air is ok for cooling a beefier LED.

Since the fitment is pretty tight, I'm buying some "Carlitek" bulbs with big heatsinks and a cable connector so I can plug it in first and then maneuver it into the housing hopefully without too much trouble.

As a summary of my experience with LED retrofits and watching reviews on Youtube of other lights, I would say even with a good beam pattern you still want increased light output compared to halogen to get better long distance vision, and more heatsink is better because hotter LEDs produce less light. 25w with a big heatsink is probably a good 55W halogen replacement.

Last edited by serialk11r; 08-14-2022 at 08:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Ecky (08-14-2022)