View Single Post
Old 08-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Half tonneau / Bonneville spoiler

I'm not exactly sure it's called a Bonneville spoiler, but I thought I had seen a picture of what I'm thinking about in a thread here years ago. Searching "Bonneville spoiler" didn't turn it up so.........?

This is probably more of a mental exercise, but I don't think I've seen it discussed before. Maybe there's a reason for that?

I understand how the half tonneau and cab wing works, with the low pressure zone being transmitted into the bed and creating a pressure difference on either side of the tailgate. But most tailgates come up short of the "template". I had seen pictures of a bed cover "extension" that went beyond the tailgate and ended where it would intersect with the "template". Some were even curved like a D with the straight part being at the tailgate.

Would this work with a half tonneau, also? A bed cover that starts halfway down the bed and extends to a point where it will meet the "template"? Would it negate the pressure difference because of it overhanging the tailgate? Amplify it? If I could figure out how to attach a cab wing I think it would be interesting to try. One sheet of plywood first long and squared off. Then long and D shaped at the rear. Then cut down to be even with the tailgate.

Would it work without the cab wing, just not as well?

My old vinyl tonneau has seen better days. The Velcro doesn't hold anymore and the vinyl had to be screwed to the rails. The catches that keep it taught have failed and it is beginning to rip at some of the screws. With my work commute being so long (110 miles round trip) and this job being so long term, I was hoping it might make a good test platform for some "outside the box" ideas. It's an old Ranger, and I won't mind drilling a few holes in it here and there. LoL.

Any thoughts on this tonneau idea?

The Following User Says Thank You to hat_man For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-15-2022)