View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #497 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
San Diego to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/in.../54013/page-10

Wayne even got the tanks signed and sealed officially. Here’s the several old thread where he drove the Ioniq from San Diego to Florida. About 3 full tanks of gas cross country. I don’t think that counts as short term test

Someone asked him about his average speed and if he used cc. He said no cc and his average speed was around “ 50ish” mph.

The guy drove in the right lane on the interstate across America going 50 mph. That’s some mad man stuff. Obviously you’d get good fuel economy that way. He said out of all 3 tanks, his averages were still above 80 mpg in that thread. It’s an interesting read to scroll they the thread. Tons of pics. Even drove into a hurricane.

But I’m young and I don’t have the mental patient to drive across America at 50mph in the right lane. I’d rather go faster and try to keep good fuel economy. Hence the aero mods and the whole point of doing all of this for my car!
Although it's been mentioned by Emission Analytics that hybrids recover 81.1% of the energy typically lost in a non-hybrid during braking, we have no way to quantify how much influenced Wayne's overall mpg.
Other investigators might 'shadow' one test car with another of a different stripe. Hybrid vs non-hybrid variant.
It's information. It would have more value with comparative data.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to your car's performance, it would get the following:
* 67.07-mpg @ 50-mph
* 61.78-mpg @ 55-mph
* 56.87-mpg @ 60-mph
* 54.11-mpg @ 65-mph
* 52.34-mpg @ 70-mph
* 48.20-mpg @ 75-mph
* 44.43-mpg @ 80-mph
* 41.00-mpg @ 85-mph ( legal posted speed between Austin and San Antonio, Texas )