Thread: Rear diffuser?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #70 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,244 Times in 4,669 Posts
'vent'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
That’s pretty much what I did with the cardboard. It was just taped on and flush with the existing angle. It was mostly flat but slightly sloped up. Could barely notice. Only weird thing is this gap that’s lifted. I wonder why Hyundai did this? Styling? Easier for air passing over the muffler to escape and not get trapped?

With the cardboard diffuser attached to the lower sides, it lift about an inch air gap where that horizontal slit is. I figured in my final design I’ll leave that small slit there to allow any possible trapped air underneath to escape and maybe it’ll act as a light vent for hot trapped air around the muffler to leave. Don’t want really hot air pressure building up back there
Technically, this 'porosity' would take away from the diffuser's performance.
It needs to be as air-tight as can be made.
Maybe, add material to the bottom of the rear fascia, down until it meets the 'flat' angled diffuser.
I know you're not made of money. Some sort of heat-proof material near the muffler. freebeard's volcanic basaltic spun glass fiber would be wicked cool.
Scrap aluminum. Sheetmetal cut from the discarded door of an abandoned, deceased refrigerator. I've used the sheet metal from worn out gas water heaters.