View Single Post
Old 08-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tmugz88
EcoModding Lurker

Spark - '14 Chevrolet Spark Ls
90 day: 38.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatastic View Post
OK so i posted a few weeks ago asking for thoughts on best highway commuter for a 120 mile round trip. Ive since narrowed it down and am going to make my decision this weekend. Its between a very clean 2000 mitsubishi mirage 1.5L 5 speed with 166K miles and a pretty beat up 2007 toyota yaris sedan 5 speed with 250K miles. Both are rated 40MPG highway. The mirage has the 4G15 engine which people say is pretty bulletproof, many going over 300K and I found a couple with 900K. Both look like they have pretty good aero CDs. If all things were equal id take the yaris since it has timing chain and people report easily getting 44-45 mpg highway but all the guy is saying is runs and drives, needs TLC. The yaris is also $400 cheaper. What do you think?
Another option is continue to search or expand the search area. I personally haven't been here long enough to know everything about ecomodding. But purchasing vehicles with a large family has shown me I need to shop for the best deal because every penny counts in our household.

So if you leave this discussion with anything I would consider expanding the search you have. And maybe look at larger vehicles known to get 35+ that are more comfortable for those types of long haul trips.