View Single Post
Old 08-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #499 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
next time i take the interstate down that way again with no wind, ill probably drop the cc to 60mph and take a measure of that
I predict in those circumstances based upon your real-world measurements, 71 mpg.

Quote:
on a super less busy day or night, id like to do a long distance test with cruise control set at 50mph and compare that to waynes numbers.
With your aeromods, I suspect the car will get close to 85 mpg if you can do a steady 50 mph long-term.

It will be interesting to see your results if you get the chance to try the above. Hyundai is really pursuing fuel efficiency on some of its models to some significance, which is a refreshing break in an industry that has otherwise refused to offer more than small, incremental improvements in vehicle efficiency when it could have easily made massive improvements in the efficiency of its sold fleet without much or any compromise regarding consumer expectations.

70 mpg is getting close to the Ford Prodigy, GM Precept, and Dodge ESX series of the late 90s/early 2000s, that were never sold to the public. To see that Hyundai now sells a relatively inexpensive car that is finally catching up to that is encouraging. It might be 2 decades later, but still. They did recently make a concept that will have finally caught up in drag coefficient with the 1935 Tatra T77A, and have said they will produce that car. Other than Tesla and various small EV automakers, no one is selling the public cars that have a drag coefficient matching or less than that of a 1935 luxury sedan. All of this is better late than never.

Observing this, I suspect massive crisis is right around the corner, or I doubt this would have even been considered for a production car given the history of the mainstream automobile industry and what they have known all of this time.

The efficiency of the Hyundai Ioniq in a car of its size footprint was possible in the 1970s with the best technology of the day. It might not have been a hybrid, or as powerful, but the efficiency was possible. A number of small diesel engines had enough thermal efficiency over a large enough portion of their operating range to get those sort of MPG numbers in a car of similar aerodynamic slipperiness to that Tatra but with thousands of pounds less weight than the Tatra.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Toecutter For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-22-2022)