View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Isaac Zachary
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Funny how long the data lags the technology so that by the time we talk about the data it is already obsolete.

I was shocked when they said a text message on a phone takes 4.5 seconds.
How does someone one-handed type a text on a touchscreen smartphone in 4.5 seconds while driving? Especially since no-texting laws mean that people don't hold the phone on the top of the steering wheel anymore they hold it in their lap below line of sight?

Then they say a text message on a car touchscreen takes 40 seconds and navigation takes the same. My 2017 Bolt has a touchscreen and Android Auto and CarPlay. You cannot use the touchscreen to set navigation or text while moving - it simply isn't allowed. You have to use voice commands and it works well. Say where you want to go and then confirm - simple.

A text is not displayed - it is all voice:
Google: "You have a new text from Bob - do you want to hear it?"
Me: "Yes"
Google: "Message from Bob: We are running about 15 minutes late"
Google: "Would you like to respond"
Me: "Yes"
Google: "OK, speak after the tone:
Me: "Thanks for letting us know - I'll grab us a table"
Google: I heard "Thanks for letting us know - I'll grab us a table"
Google: "Send or rerecord?
Me: "Send"
Google: "Message sent"

Isaac you might feel different about a touchscreen if you lived somewhere where navigation was required every day - not to find where you are going but to see which way to go to avoid traffic. A simple fender bender can add an hour to my commute so I use google maps every day for every destination. I've long given up second guessing all-knowing Google.
In a city Google is probably up-to-date on everything. Out here it'll take you out into some field and then tell you've reached your destination. There are people that have signs on their driveways saying "Google is wrong. This is not a road."

I've never been in a situation that it makes sense to say a text. If I'm going to say something, I might as well as call. I only text if I'm in a crowd and don't want others to hear my conversation. I also don't talk on the phone while driving, so I don't see the point in talk-to-texting while driving instead. One time I tried to text on a smartphone and it called someone a uterus and I didn't realize it until the text was already sent. I'm plenty happy with my ol', basic, zero internet, flip phone. But I'm weird, what can I say.

I do like the backup camera though, and find the hybrid battery info interesting. But the same info can be brought up by the speedometer, so not that useful.

I think what's broken in my infotainment center has something to do with it's recognition of if the car is moving or not. Certain things that should work when the car is stopped don't but others that shouldn't work when the car is moving do. Others just don't work altogether. This was apparently fixed one time before I got this car according to the previous owner's notes left in the car. But it stopped working soon again soon after we got the car.