View Single Post
Old 08-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #46 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 55.81 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.79 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
You had a roof rack this whole time?
Have you tried brake pad anti drag clips?
I found they are good for saving about 100 watts per wheel at 65mph.
Tell me about these anti drag clips? Do they work for 4 wheel disc? Where do you get them?

The roof rack delete was one of my first mods. There is still a flush strip of plastic from the factory that fills the void between panels in the metal roof. I have gorilla tape covering the holes in the plastic where the roof rack mounts were.

My rear wheel drag is gone. This model uses the parking brake to turn the caliper piston to adjust for brake wear. So, putting on the parking brake on full rotates the piston out, which causes some brake drag at first. This tightening happened while removing the emergency brake cable from the bracket on the caliper to remove the rotor. I don't have the tool that will push the piston back while rotating it.

I have no brake drag now, the wheel turns freely. I don't use my parking brakes very often, if I do I only use one or two clicks. Not enough to move the piston and tighten the brakes.

This morning I got 69.6 mpg on the way to work, so about 9% more than yesterday when I had some residual brake drag.

I did pick up some terminal velocity coasting on my normal hills after the spoiler install. I hit over 70 mph on one hill.
306k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank