View Single Post
Old 08-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #51 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 54.24 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It gets you to a sweet spot in BSFC chart. ecomodder.com/wiki/Brake_Specific_Fuel_Consumption_(BSFC)_Maps

Any benefit 'shrinks' with the length of the journey.

Introducing the turbo complicates things.
Unfortunately I can't download the table/chart/graph . It doesn't take my login. They also don't have the 1.9L 1Z motor chart just the 1.9 AHU. It should be close though.

I was afraid that quick acceleration would bring in too much boost and fuel. Eventually I will find a happy medium. I can also go in with a VAG COM and laptop and try to reduce the fuel injection length pulses. Been ten years since i have tried to tune with a VAG COM.

As a rule of thumb, your max. effeciency should be near your peak torque, provided that is not too high in the rpm band where there are more friction losses. My peak torque (stock) is only at 1,900 rpms so I would say that 1,600 - 2,100 rpms would be my driving range. Somewhere in here is my sweet spot. Trial and error will find it.

Unfortunately since I have the 0.681 5th gear mod, I have a large gap now between 4th and 5th gear. It is hard to use 5th gear at 50 mph unless it is level or downhill, and in 4th gear at 50 mph steady, my instantaneous mpg is only 50 mpg or so on level. I have about 6 miles of driving at 45 - 50 mph on my commute and I have been doing that in 5th. I should try some P&G in 4th and compare to P&G in 5th.

317k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caddylackn For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-26-2022), Joggernot (09-02-2022)