View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #129 (permalink)
Duffman
Master EcoModder

Blue Bomber Man:

I think you are oversimplifying it. Making the probability equal to 1.0 is easy, it’s the std deviation that is the problem. Really the probability needs to be 1.0 + std dev. Just looking at this thread, people who don’t believe in global warming wont pay more. It is possible but what is the cost, 2x, 3x 4x?

Canada had an election yesterday and one of the major parties had a policy of adopting a revenue neutral carbon tax. What this means is the govt will not increase its overall revenue, increases in tax revenue from carbon would be offset by tax cuts to corporate and income taxes. From a policy perspective it is brilliant, from a political perspective it tanked. They even excluded gasoline because they knew it would be suicidal given current gas prices, it didn’t matter.

My argument is we need to reduce our carbon footprint, but why adopt technologies that have significantly higher costs when we have known technologies that are reliable and cost effective now.

Also while much of your oil comes from hostile locations, I don’t think your domestic electricity is coming from outside of north America.