View Single Post
Old 08-31-2022, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Logic
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I dissagree to some extent. Engines with multiple sparkplugs aren't more likely to have knock, for an example. I believe the multiple flame fronts as being an old myth.

What I understand knock (detonation) to be is when a pocket of air and fuel (regardless of the number of flame fronts) reaches a critical temperature and pressure so that it spontaneously combusts. Normally combustion occurs along a flame front and therefore causes a gradual presure wave. If a whole pocket of air and fuel suddenly ignite then you have a much more sudden expanssion of gasses resulting in a sonic (or maybe even hypersonic??) pressure wave. These knock pressurewaves are very stronge and will bounce around causing spots along the tops of the pistons and in the combustion chamber to have very high pressure and very high temperature compacted ripples of exhaust gas smack into the metal.
Yep; that's the way I understand knock too
but
'sharp-ish' points on the piston face or in the head tend to get hotter than other areas and can also start knock.

IIRC thats why spark plugs often have copper in the electrode; to get the heat out of it and prevent this.