Thread: Plan B 3.0
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fudog1138
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
In the end, it's all about the money. Consumers in general want cheap convenience. So the premium for environmental products isn't worth much when there is a cheaper and more convenient alternative.

This is why I cheer every time the price of gas goes up.

If there is big enough of a financial incentive not to use polluting technologies, there will be a massive switch towards clean technologies.

At some point in time this shift will happen as diverse non renewable resources will become scarce.

The only real question is can our planet handle it till then?

I don't know buddy. Glaciers are melting faster than we had expected. When they dry up, the water table drops and the land becomes to dry to plant crops. That's a lot of hungry people in China.
On the other side of it, if chunks of ice as big as Great Britain keep dropping off, then water levels will rise. A good percentage of Manhattan goes under water, New Orleans is gone, good portion of Florida. Thats just in the states. Hong Kong, Taipei, Japan, Indonesia and so on.
The US had around 100,000 refuges from hurricane Katrina. We were absolutley sacked by it and still have not recovered from the rise in crime and financial cost. That was 100,000 displaced people. If the oceans rise 40-60 feet, we could have 600 million. Is the EU, Canada, US, Australia, Japan and UK going to foot that bill?
Fat chance.
People are going to get hungry. It could be a bloody mess, literally.

But... Life is good. It really is. We've got to keep our chins up. The term ecowarrior exists for a reason. I for one won't stop until my breath does. Then I'm going to try and haunt policy makers if the afterlife lets me :-)