View Single Post
Old 09-12-2022, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
I don't know what is typical, but I tend to think being single is cheaper living.

As a single guy, I didn't have to maintain any particular level of creature comforts and was free to buy cheap food and rent a small room for $400/mo (and live in my car for 2 years).

Many Portlanders rent rooms in a house, for instance my wife was living with 4 other single people in a house in Kenton. Seems typical to me, as her whole single friend group rented rooms in various houses.

Ever since I've had full time employment, I could afford to do whatever I wanted because single living is as frugal as you want it to be.

Now that I'm married with children, I've got to buy more expensive groceries, not live with 3 other roommates, buy a new car seat because the car seat manufacturers have convinced everyone that a used one will certainly kill their child...

I'd say my costs since getting married have increased 5x while the income has only doubled.

Sure, getting married might be cheaper for one who would otherwise rent a single bedroom apartment and eat out every night out of laziness. I know that guy; he borrowed money from me to make rent on several occasions despite making twice my pay.

I didn't get married to get rich; I got married to give my wealth a purpose.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!