View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 02:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
'very effective'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
No, and it was more sophisticated because it was on topic to each thread it responded to.

Problem was, they were all 2 sentence throw-away statements.

I actually responded to the first one as if a human had wrote it, but then read the other ~7 posts and they all took on the same form as the one op4 quoted. I then revised my comment in light of the Turing Test failure.

As SA has been discussing lately about how artificial relationships will be preferred by some people, I had the thought that someday we'll come to prefer bot posts to human ones.

While humans can "read the room" and adjust strategy to improve effectiveness, bots will be deadly precise at that, learning exactly what motivates people and how to reward folks with dopamine when they respond the way the bot has been designed persuade.

I don't know what the counter to highly effective mind control will be. Those highly susceptible to programming, which is the majority of people, would need to be programmed at an early age in counter mind control, and I'm not sure that would be very effective because their very nature is such that it conforms to external suggestion.

Maybe in the future we just plug those people into the Matrix because that's where they want to be, and the few that want to pursue truth and new frontiers can adventure on.
Even PhD Vance Packard, who wrote in the 1950s about the psychology of advertising, admitted that he had no superpowers to protect himself from all manner of come-ons.