View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Thanks for the responses everyone, it sounds like slightly lowering the idle shouldn't be a problem. I did notice that the coolant now seems to run slightly warmer after idling for a couple minutes, presumably due to the lower flow rate since it quickly cools off with slightly higher RPM. The difference doesn't seem anywhere near large enough to be problematic, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on if you lower your idle speed. I suspect heater performance at idle may be somewhat worse too since coolant flow seems to have been affected, but it's been too hot to test that.

I'd like to try to find a way to lower the cold idle RPM too. Even starting at 80+ degrees it initially revs to nearly 2K RPM which seems unnecessary. Since I live in Tennessee and use a block heater, it hardly ever sees cold starts below around 60 degrees. I haven't found any way to change the cold idle in Kpro, so I'm thinking of eventually installing some kind of plate between the throttle body and the IACV with a hole only large enough to allow for something like a 1200 RPM idle. Not sure how well this would work in practice, but I think it's worth a try.