View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 55.81 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.79 mpg (US)
We had a '83 Civic 4 door sedan 5 speed CVCC which we bought new. I learned to drive on it, my parents put about 210k miles on it. My parents took the car down to St. Croix VI for five years when they lived down there and drove it with studded tires. Then they came back drove it across the country after the car survived Hurricane Hugo, then they sold it to my friend who put at least 60 - 70k more miles on it before it overheated badly , and they scrapped it.

We never did anything but change fluids in that car. It got 40 mpg new and was still getting over 32 mpg when my friend scrapped it. I don't remember even changing out the water pump, which was probably what eventually failed. Our ignition switch failed and left us cold and stranded in the middle of rural Oregon on Christmas day when it was 20 degrees out, but that was the only problem with it. Still had the original clutch, which trained at least 3 new drivers. That car did awesome in the snow with studs.

It was a good car, it would cruise all day at 75 mph with five adults in it and a trunk full of luggage and get over 35 mpg. Pretty much unheard of in 1983.
306k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caddylackn For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-19-2022), Gasoline Fumes (09-26-2022)