View Single Post
Old 09-22-2022, 12:02 AM   #22 (permalink)
Tahoe_Hybrid
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Alternators aren't good for motor conversions because they have too many poles for any off the shelf motor controller to handle. At least that's what I thought when I was trying to figure out if it was feasible. A more minor problem is that alternators also tend to have inefficient thick laminations.

Replacing the whole alternator with a permanent magnet motor would be my preference, but getting it to work with the serpentine belt and adding a second tensioner are kind of annoying.

It might be easier to make a custom rotor for the alternator with less pole pairs but you need to know your physics.

As far as voltage and stuff goes, it's pretty simple, just match the maximum torque on the alternator pulley. Rough estimate is 1kW at 1400rpm idle (2x crank speed) = 7 Nm for a smaller alternator, double for some newer cars. Set the motor controller's current limit to whatever produces that torque. A larger pulley will give you proportionally more up to the limit of the belt and tensioner.
alternators are just three phase motors that uses a rectifier to 14.vDC have you ever cracked one open?