View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
They can't be shut off and on over short periods of time and they are slow to cool. So it might work on a semi truck that just stays running with the AC left on, but you can't get in the car, turn on the AC, get it cool within a few miles, then 5 mins later shut it off, go into the store for 15 minutes and repeat on the way home. Even the article the OP posted talks about how it protects itself in a power failure. That happens 10 times a day in a car by design.

They are for a slow constant cooling.

I was surprised how little power the AC system used in my PHEV Pacifica. That's a huge volume van and that AC could freeze you out without running the ICE. It used 1/3 the watts of the heater 1500-2000 and that obviously also includes the circulation fan which you would have with either system.

That's under 3 horsepower. So while the van made over 250 using 3 more at idle or even normal driving if anything probably puts it in a better thermal efficiency spot as you are just wasting power with throttle losses and no load. Plus with modern start stop, they can shut it off at a light and there is still enough cold refrigerant in the system to keep it cool until the light changes and the ICE starts again.

The absorption systems can't be too bad as I have had them on a small fridge camper. They would run for a long time on a 20 pound propane bottle or use about 15 amps on a 12 volt circuit. That was a tiny space andbon really hot days it struggled to keep a well insulated 1.3 ft3 box cold.

Last edited by Hersbird; 09-28-2022 at 10:30 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-29-2022)