View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 04:38 AM   #142 (permalink)
Duffman
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bomber Man View Post
You are so adament that wind and solar are not practical,
Really I fight the battle so hard is because I hate decisions being made by ideology and I cant stand the lies and propaganda. If you tell a lie enough times eventually you get people that start to believe it. Now I am not painting everyone (or anyone here for that matter) but the real hardcore environmentalists have an agenda. These people are usually not educated as physicists, chemists or engineers, lots are biologists or lawyers and other like professions with no educational background in energy. These people oppose dollars invested into nuclear energy or even research for that matter, they oppose carbon sequestration technology and they hide behind the guise that money is better spent on renewable energies. These people fight real solutions tooth and nail for reasons I do not understand (it’s ideological) and instead propose alternatives that are unworkable or unrealistic as I and others have tried to show in this thread. These people are not engineers or technicians and for the most part don’t care to consult with them either, yet engineers and technicians are the people who build and maintain our society and make it work.

One of my favourite tools of analysis is to look at what others are doing. The world does have a % of really smart people. If something is being done it must make sense to do so, if something is not being done then chances are there is something better. Good examples, I think Geothermal generated power is a great idea, its clean and constant, exactly what we need. It does exist but is limited to certain locations, it just must not work everywhere. Opponents to nuclear spread lies about nuclear is expensive, why are there over 400 plants on the planet then and new ones under construction right now, nobody wants to pay more than they have to so why build nuclear if it is really more expensive?

The reason Denmark is 20% on one source is that is the most cost effective renewable in the toolbox right now. Why do they build offshore wind instead of wave generation, there not incapable? I am not a great fan of solar partly because I live at a high latitude region and it isn’t worth beans to me in Dec-Jan when I need the energy the most. If you live in a low latitude desert, it’s great for you, but because it only shines for half the day it’s only really good to power your A/C and to displace gas in heating water. If you look at what utilities are doing, it’s not more than 1 or 2% in anyone’s generation portfolio yet wind is 5x or more that, why is that?

Storage solutions chew up efficiency in transferring the energy back and forth. Because it is not generation it is only wasted cost and people will scrimp on the size of storage and then your screwed when the tank is empty. We can’t waste time and resources on storage when we haven’t solved the big problem of coal smokestacks or tailpipe emissions.

Steps off Soapbox