View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
broski499
EcoModding Apprentice

Boltar - '19 Chevy Bolt LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Keith View Post
Years-long mileage drop is more often caused by a change in operating scenarios. Shorter trips are devastating. Heat can be devastating.

My son has a 2008, and he averages 32 mpg. He drives 6 miles to the light rail station and 1.5 miles to work. My daughter drives a similar pattern, but she gets 34mpg (lighter foot). I drive a more typical city/hwy blend and get 39mpg due to a lead foot. My wife drives a commuter profile and tends to average 42-44mpg with a moderate foot.

Your mileage log looks really erratic.

In my experience with a few hundred gen2, batteries tend to fail when pack capacity deteriorates below 40%.

If you catch them before they drop a cell, a grid charger/reconditioning system can often restore them to 85%+ depending on the nature of the degradation (if you had a Gen3, you'd be out of luck - when they fail, the completely crap the bed).

Here's a little something I wrote up before I got banned from PC:

https://priuschat.com/threads/quanti...charge.160062/

Images are gone, but the relevant results are in the table.. 27% health to 90%.

That one reconditioning cycle lasted over 3 years before the battery failed (I'm still good friends with the owner).

107K and considering replacing? I can't wrap my head around that. A low mileage Prius to me is 150K. You're sitting on a car with another 140K+miles.

G2 prius is a 250K mile platform with a few major maintenance events: 3 inverter coolant pumps, HV battery, ABS actuator, and a combination meter (in order of likelihood).

Even if all of the above happened, you'd still be sitting pretty good on the total outlay for a car with another 140K miles in it.
Yeah my mileage looks erratic because my driving between tanks can be pretty different. I can go a whole month basically doing short 4-5 mile trips for a full tank, to doing long highway stretches if we go on a trip.

It doesn't help that I didn't get LLR tires when I needed new tires a few years ago.

I know that 107k is low mileage for a Prius. I was very lucky and bought this in 2014 with only 34k miles on it.

I guess I'm trying to decide which option makes the most sense fiscally.

Option 1: Purchase and install grid charger
Option 2: Have the battery changed out
Option 3: Trade in car. Shift had offered me 6k for the car a few weeks ago, that expired and now its offering 4k. ( shift is a carvana clone )

Southern California Edison is offering 4k rebate on used EVs or Plug in Hybrids.