View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
NiHaoMike
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
I seen start-up caps go bad on AC electric motors (120V 60hz) But never heard of one being in the AC of a car... Learn something new everyday..

I had heard you had to turn you car AC once in a while in the winter to keep the lube moving around. (For some reason). Who knew it was a lie??
The electronic modules used with DC compressors have capacitors as well. It's not easy to see with the Danfoss compressors as the modules are enclosed, but here's a compressor with an open board where the capacitors are visible:

That is actually a compressor used to cool the processor chips in some of the fastest servers and workstations.

Startup is actually the most stressful on a compressor. The bearings are operating without lubrication until the oil pump operates. Some compressors like the Copeland Scroll actually use the hydraulic pressure of the lubricant to enable compression so as to reduce stress during startup and reduce inrush current.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...