View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #34 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I dug through my car parts box and found the old Scion FR-S LEDs, and I noticed they were H11 as well, so I tossed them on just to try...and immediately took them off because I couldn't see s*** past maybe 20 feet.

I just got the new LEDs in the mail and...turns out they sent me the "COB" style ones with a crappier beam pattern, though a little better than the single round emitter on the old lights. Oops.

Good news is, with a 4300K color temp (more yellow light) and higher power, these are actually usable. The halogen hot spot is maybe barely brighter than the general flooded center of the LED, maybe not, I couldn't really tell testing back to back. With the reflector housing there's a clean cutoff and the amount of light being thrown to the sides is not really much different.

Downside is the cooling fans are audible when you're at a stop, but with the fan or engine on or any road noise at all they're drowned out.

I've driven the car 2000 miles now, and took one trip at 70-75mph instead of 60-65mph. Wow, the aero really matters, because I went down from 40 to 32 mpg! The bright side seems to be that giving the car to my family members to drive (who have no clue about saving fuel), they seem to get 32mpg too.

Last edited by serialk11r; 10-06-2022 at 08:13 PM..