View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 11:15 PM   #1023 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
I'm not arguing against all social welfare programs, but they do seem to do a better job creating lifetime dependents than "lifting out of poverty". The evidence suggests those most "helped" are the worst off, and I don't think it's because we're not "helping" enough. Specifically I think of native Americans (though I loath the term because I'm native American; weren't born anywhere else), and how they have the most special programs and are doing the worst. The dullards among us would say we're not doing enough, despite their heart being in the right place. Heart isn't everything when an understanding of cause/effect is at play.

Making it to the next day is necessary, but not sufficient. No wonder many of those addicted to minimal levels of "help" fill the vacuum of meaning with various chemicals (alcohol primarily).

We're meant to do more than make it to tomorrow, and we know it. The Human story requires our attention and participation. It doesn't require fame or fortune, but it does require listening to what the future version of you wants and then honoring that person by pursuing those ends.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 10-09-2022 at 11:43 PM..