View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 12:57 PM   #55 (permalink)
seuadr
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Depending on the final drive ratio I would expect you could hit 15 mpg without issue.
looks like it is probably a 4.10 i have not verified the tag, though - that is what the VIN lookup indicated.

i'm thinking 3.83 will help a bit, and it looks like that was an option for the 1 ton axle.

Quote:
Are you planning to change the entry door at all? I looked at busses but one of the reasons I ruled them out was they have the entry steps where a front passenger seat would be.
yeah i'm just not sure exactly how yet. the bottom of the door is rusty and so needs something done anyhow - but i'm not convinced that having a rear entry or converting the rear side door will make sense for clearing in a parking space, and, i don't want everyone to have to climb through the drivers door.

tentative idea is to remove the extra height added by the top step/platform and either repair the existing door, or replacing it, unless once i take a more critical look at the back some kind of extending stairs seems to make more sense (that would be my preference, just not sure that the clearance is there)

Quote:
Have you worked out insurance yet? I have my ambulance insured with Progressive. They won't write a RV policy on a vehicle that used to be a bus.
i actually got lucky there, as because it isn't a school bus, it was titled as a van/cutaway which as far as the insurance company is concerned is NOT a bus, so it was not complicated.

i was prepared to have to fight to get it titled differently if they were going to consider it a commercial vehicle but it worked out well.

they want to re-inspect it if i decide to re-title it to an RV, but the underwriters said that was essentially to make sure that we didn't do anything to compromise the frame or install questionable stuff like a wood burner in it (which is fair) Apparently, that is a really popular "van life" mod and a bit time no-no for them.