View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 04:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
There are time and places for each. I can send my mom and sisters a text and they will probably ignore it. If I do get any response one of my sisters will usually emphasize it.

What does that even mean?!

I might send a text just saying "Moving," which nobody ever understands, but do they want me to take the time to write "Just to let you know, I am just leaving?"

No, that didn't take long, but when you are in a hurry it seems too much.

My thing is that if you tell me I will probably forget, but if there is a written record I will vaguely remember something about something and hopefully I can find it.

Finally, I think that I have mentioned an ancient multiplayer game from the eighties that I play.

"Play" is a loose term. For the past 72 hours around 2200 I will stop a script, go home, deposit my credits, and then resume the script, but usually I spend maybe an hour once or twice a day doing boring things.

I have never won the game. Someone always comes along and while I don't focus on becoming as strong as possible, they do, they take all of my stuff, and they kill me.

I don't understand how that is fun.

I started playing on a server just because someone had gone through and trashed everything. It was extremely unplayable, but not completely, so every day I did what I could and slowly made the game playable.

Just when I had cleared out most of the 10,000,000 fighters and 50,000 mines throughout the galaxy, before I could start rebuilding several thousand ports, someone started playing 24/7, and I started asking for help.

I just wanted to finish clearing the fighters and the mines, rebuild the ports, and then I was going to quit.

I didn't want to build an empire, I just wanted to restore the game so other people could play.

Then there were two, three, and four players running scripts 24/7, and finally other players started saying they would mentor me, but in a new game, like I was supposed to abandon mine.

While the first text message came out 19 years after the first cell phone, my would-be mentor insisted that texting was out-of-date, and voice was cutting edge.

Ten years ago people in WoW wanted me to voice chat because they considered it fun.

I said that I sounded like Fran Drescher and Gilbert Gottfried's illegitimate love child.

I didn't want to talk for the sake of talking.

The TW2002 mentor made a big deal out of how much faster he could communicate through voice than writing, which had a point.

I just wouldn't remember it.

Younger people generally scoff at the idea of phoning people and insist on texting.

Older people often refuse to text and insist on having long and boring conversations.

However, when I have a 45-60 minute drive for work I like to call a friend in Washington.