View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 11:37 AM   #55 (permalink)
Caddylackn
EcoModding Apprentice

Passat TDI Wagon - '97 VW Passat Wagon TDI
90 day: 54.24 mpg (US)

Blue - '21 Hyundai Sonata Blue
90 day: 53.05 mpg (US)
When I fill up, I use the fill command setting on the Scan Gauge II. It will show the projected fill up of 5.5 gallons (for example) based on the last calibrations, when it actually took 6.0 gallons to fill. I use the buttons to adjust it to the correct 6.0 gallons at fill up. This is supposed to calibrate the instantaneous fuel usage. I have now done this four times.

Before I did any fillup calibration, I was off by over 30% of the projected fill up amount.
The computer counts injector pulses, and the injector pulse duration is set with the Vag Com and is known. So, if I am over 10% off on fuel usage, I think it is from leaking fuel injector nozzles. The old nozzle tips do look a little worn. New fill ups will tell if I am correct in my assumption.

the black smoke was only on acceleration. It should have some black smoke on hard acceleration (I have larger nozzles and a tune), but it was smoking on even slight acceleration on hills. This seems to have cleared up with the new Bosio nozzles. I haven't done any hard acceleration yet. .

My boost pressure seems normal. It makes about 10 psi on hard acceleration and 2 to 5 psi on cruise depending on the grade. I haven't checked it when I have floored it for extended periods. I will check the pressure side intake for leaks.
317k miles
Scan Gauge II
full belly pan
26 gallon tank