View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 02:30 PM   #143 (permalink)
ps2fixer
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I want to invent side mirrors that detect when high beams are blinding the driver, calculate the angle needed to send the light back to the source, then move the mirrors to accomplish that. Would at least get the bozos to back off or pass. All of that should be relatively easy. The hardest part would be adding position sensors to the mirrors.

When I was in Miami, an Acura or Lexus was a poor man's ride, with exotic vehicles seen at every street corner. In Oregon, if you see a Lambo, you point and say "there's a Lambo". I'd see a Lambo or Ferrari every minute in Miami.

Crazy they'd own such expensive vehicles given how poorly people drive around there. I wouldn't take a nice car out in urban environments anyhow, because going fast between lights is pointless and the chance of some idiot damaging the car is high. Backcountry roads is where those vehicles belong.
Here's an idea to make it happen, look up how solar trackers work for solar panels, it's basically a hole with light sensors for the "spot" to be detected which direction is needed to be lined up. Should be a fairly simple thing to do with a stock mirror if you can control the mirror motors with a micro controller. Have a button you press and it hones in, press it again and it goes back to your preset location (assuming motors in good health).

I've been behind my dad before and he adjusts his mirror way to the side because of the bright light problems, with just dim lights on it was super annoying and pretty bright flashes on the bumps so I think it would be pretty effective as long as the mirrors are kept clean.