View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I was admiring just how flush that his wheels were with the body in stock form.
I cringe each time I see those huge 'elephant ear ' mirrors out destroying the drag though.
I notice he didn't add any plexi for windows in back, yet he used it to cover the lights after viewers suggested it.
If he added windows, he could have folded his mirrors ( or at least one ) back.
In this latest video, he added a low air dam, rather than creating a belly pan.
He is familiar with all sorts of materials for creating R/C planes, and I'm puzzled why he chose not to cover the underside in Coroplast ( with cutouts around hot bits )
The air dam added too much to the frontal area, and actually made things worse if i remember correctly.
I think maybe he chose the airdam due to it being the faster option.
He got really low on the departure angle of the tail too.
He's lucky to have not scraped it.
One thing I plan to do if I ever create a full tail, is to have this same angle, but have it flex upward and drop back down by using the floor mounted to a hinge and held up by wires.
He was asking for advice on how to get a more precise way of measuring the MPG over tank to tank fills at the pump.
I saw a few comments that mentioned the Scanguage, and I hope he reads them.
The guy is brilliant with R/C stuff and electronics, and I have been a fan of his videos for a while now without knowing who he was. ( Been into R/C since childhood, but just could never afford one )
One really clever thing he did, was to create a LIDAR controlled Ekronoplan ( one of my favorite machines ! )
He really does come up with some interesting stuff.
Looking at the shape of his latest tail, I'm reminded of others that have created them on this site.
He even used foamboard.
After looking at some at work today, I'm now interested in using it myself. If flexes to curves, unlike Coroplast.

I am reminded of Darin's ( MetroMPG ) work each time I see someone post a video like these.
It would be nice to see him mentioned, since he is one of the first to really put this stuff out there on Youtube in educational form along with A-B-A data.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-28-2022), pgfpro (05-04-2023)