View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #147 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bomber Man View Post
Your large turbines would not ice up for similair reasons that basjoos does not need windshield wipers.
Wrong. The turbine blades are a lot more like airplane wings, and I can assure you that those do ice up. Read here: Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - Aircraft Icing

Quote:
Solar cells would be recieving less light, but power would still be flowing from the south.
Not unless you've massively overbuilt the system. The whole idea is for most of the power to be used locally, no? So under normal conditions the south produces about enough power to supply the south, with not much excess to ship off to cloudy places.

Quote:
Natural gas can be throttled up and down, as can nuclear, hydro would still run, so could tidal/wave energy.
Nope. You've got a 100% renewable grid, remember? You don't HAVE nuclear or natural gas any more. Hydro you can throttle within limits, but you have other constrains such as min/max water flows, resevoir levels, etc. (Suppose you're in the middle of a drought?) Geothermal pretty much runs at constant output, as would tidal/wave if & when production plants are built. That is, if you have X MW of such generation, it either produces that X or wastes the energy, which your investors won't be happy about.

Quote:
The whole concept of the Smartgrid tech seems foreign to you.
Again, no. I probably know a good bit more about it than you do, since I used to work in the field and still take a bit of an interest.

Your problem is that you are taking the ideas of an unproven & unimplemented technology and pushing them far beyond what even their designers intend. As I keep saying, IT'S NOT LINEAR. It's pretty easy to deal with small amounts of intermittent generation. Smart grid technology would increase the percentage, but the farther you push it, the more difficult & more expensive it gets.

So why go to all that difficulty and expense, when there's an easier and less expensive approach?