View Single Post
Old 10-23-2022, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Let's do the Gyroid again

I'd had prior exposure to Peter Pearce's Structure In Nature..., so when I run the 3D slicer software and saw a gyroid fill, I immediately understood that it subdivides a space into two equal, interpenetrated volumes.
Quote:
https://www.goodreads.com › book › show › 2705216-structure-in-nature-is-a-strategy-for-design
Structure in Nature Is a Strategy for Design by Peter Pearce - Goodreads
the structural designs that occur in nature--in molecules, in crystals, in living cells, in galaxies--is the proper source of inspiration, peter pearce affirms, for the design of man-made structures.nature at all levels builds responsive and adaptive strategies that conserve material and energy resources through the use of modular components …
I'd picture a rectilinear box with inlets and outlets in the corners, but as it occurs, the optimal shape is a spindle/football shape.

Lattices on the outside, and on the inside as a permanent support structure for terminating the gyroid. Half the weight and four times the performance of the hand-crafted part.

This would look awesome on the firewall of a 1932 Ford highboy roadster, would it not? An oil cooler that pre-heats the fuel?

edit: Haven't watched this one yet, but appears on-topic"

2nd edit: his is a geuine rabbit hole. 3D Printed Cold Plate Heat Exchanger for an Electric Race Car | The Cool Parts Show #51

Last edited by freebeard; 10-23-2022 at 01:45 PM..