View Single Post
Old 10-25-2022, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
^ No, it's automatic. I've mostly stopped EOCing, and I found another way to shut the fuel injectors off. Besides going into 3rd gear above 35 MPH and down a hill to turn on open loop mode, there's also this method:

Above 40 MPH, turn Cruise Control on. Hold the Coast button, and the engine should shut off the injectors in a few seconds. It doesn't always do this, though. This doesn't slow the car down as much as going into 3rd gear, so I have more opportunities to go into open loop mode.

However, the computer sometimes gets the button inputs confused, causing the car to accelerate when I hold "Coast." In this case, I go into Neutral and then I EOC just long enough to restart the engine. That usually fixes the problem.

Oh, and I added a 600w Block Heater about 10 days ago. It helps pretty well when I first start up if I've had it plugged in for 4 - 6 hours, but I'd like to add a second coolant heater somewhere.

How well does the block heater help? After 6 hours of heating and on a 71 degree day, and going by a landmark that's within 2 miles, my ScanGauge read 18 MPG AVG at the landmark vs. the 15 MPG that I'd normally get on a "good" run. Then again, that's also with some slightly better traffic than I would usually get. Maybe I should count this as more of a 2.5 MPG increase in short distance, on "good" (warm) days.

EDIT:

The cruise control open loop method doesn't seem to be working as effectively lately. Sometimes I can start at 45 or so MPH and stop above 40, but other times I have to go upwards of 47 - 50 MPH. I'm not sure why?

Also, I haven't yet added an Air Dam. I need to re-add my hot air intake for these colder days, too. I've just had the side of the air box cut open to the engine compartment, which doesn't seem to help much if at all.

Last edited by 101Volts; 10-27-2022 at 10:59 PM..