Thread: Prius 75-91mpg
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 02:33 AM   #321 (permalink)
Nathan jones
Ecomodding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post
HI,

I was just thinking that too ... About paint weigh that is.

Now this may seem a little radical but with so much of the car being converted to non metals how about simply stripping off all the paint and running the sheet metal au natural (OK I know you don't want rust so I guess you can rub her down with some sort of oil to keep that from happening .... a light film of oil is bound to save some weight VS layers of paint..

Also thought about titanium lug bolts (or studs / nuts if that is what a Prius uses .... In a Jetta , the titanium saves a fair amount of weight).

Lastly, I read somewhere where a person put SMALLER rotors on the front (based on a jetta that would be like using the rear rotors and using them in the front).

I believe Wilwood also makes Aluminum Calipers whch may save weight also).

Andrew

PS - Maybe to eek out the last bit of MPGs ditch the gas engine and go with a small Turbo Diesel instead ....

All this is hard core .... I like it!
Hi
Thats true
I already have aluminium lug nuts. Aluminium 2.something g/scm titanium 4.something and iron/steel is 8.something

Use registration give me 8 points to play with and hence won't likely affect my insurance either so yes brakes were one thing I checked out. Wilwood or anyone else don't make stock alu calipers for the corolla or prius so would have to be made special. So far nobody wants to make anything I've asked for...

Yes the paint idea is very good. The only part of the exposed chassis that won't be remade is the roof, which I plan to cut out so at the moment as has already been sensibly recommended is to keep it white

n.b an old diesel without a dpf system and a mechanical pump yes but no my prius 1nz-xfe engine with 0w-20 will be just fine for now